Sunday, January 13, 2013

One Order of Skinny Thighs Please

I don't really like change.  Nobody does, do they?  What's familiar is usually pretty easy.  Life throws enough my way without having to learn something new or force something that I'm not used to.  Yes, I want to be thinner, healthier, stronger, better, faster...(I sound like the Bionic Woman), but who has time to commit to working out and the money to shop at Whole Foods?  It's easier to just keep things simple, zip through a fast food drive thru and stop making a fuss about fitness. I've got more important things to keep me busy than trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  Besides, we all have to die with something. What's the big deal, right? - WRONG!

Change will never happen without modifying our thinking.  Once the change begins to occur in your thoughts, that affects your actions.  When actions change, then you'll see a change in your lifestyle.  When your lifestyle changes, then you'll see the results of the whole process.  However, too often we never start with changing our mind.  We try to go straight to the results.  And the diet and fitness industry makes millions, if not billions, off of people who don't understand the process of change. Fad diets, drastic cleanses, pills that melt fat while we sleep are all gimmicks that promise results, yet require little commitment or effort from you. We can't wish it away or even pray it away.    

Speaking of our quests for sudden results, at the age of eight years old, I recall being taught that God answers prayer.  So, while on my knees at bedtime, I made my request, just like I was sitting on Santa's lap at the mall.  I told God that I didn't like fat thighs and I was putting in my order for skinny ones. All night long I was anxious to see what would happen by morning. The next day I yanked the cover off in excitement, but was quickly disappointed to see that my thighs were still fat!  What happened Lord?  Thirty-seven years later, I still have fat thighs!  It's because I kept eating. No mystery there. 

I'm happy to say that I'm finally catching on to the way change happens.  Two years ago when I decided to take baby steps towards better health, it was a gradual process. It's not about dropping the pounds (or skinny thighs) for me any more.  It's about quality of life.  I'm striving to think different so that my behavior will change permanently.  I'm making progress, but it's happening gradually.  Over all I've lost about 30 pounds.  My cholesterol has dropped from borderline high to below 200 for the first time in my adult life.  My blood pressure and glucose levels are normal.  This has come after modifying my diet to eating more fruits, veggies, nuts and fish.  And less fast foods, processed foods and sugars.   It all sounds pretty common sense and easy for some, I'm sure.  But to the person who clings to bad habits like a security blanket, it's not so simple.  Change can happen for anyone.  They just have to want it bad enough.  I do. Do you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment